Temperatures are starting to show signs of a season change in East Tennessee. Your home is a refuge, a place where you retreat at the end of a day. The quality of the air in your home helps or can hinder this retreat, and at times, cleaning your HVAC system’s duct work is necessary. Cleaning out ducts is a thorough process and con-artists exist that offer a cheap, quick duct cleaning. Learn how to tell the difference between professional, quality duct cleaning and a scam.
Ducts tend to get clogged with debris, dust, and even mold, creating higher utility bills as your system works harder to flow. Optimal times to have ducts cleaned are after renovation, if there is visible mold or a smell of mold in your home, if unexplained allergy-illnesses are present or reoccurring, or if noticeable debris is entering the room from heating registers. Cleaning your duct system can ultimately save you money, as anything blocking air flow decreases the efficiency of your system. The process is involved, requires special equipment, multiple people, and can take from 8 – 15 hours. Upon completion, your electric bill should be lower, as the air can then begin circulating correctly.
Duct Cleaning Scams
As you consider looking for a company to clean your ducts, be aware that scams add unnecessary cleanings and treatments to the job. In addition, they may not even be doing the service correctly. Here are some ways to help you distinguish between a scam and a legitimate duct cleaning:
- DO NOT GO WITH ANY STEAM CLEANING OFFERINGS AS STEAM AND MOISTURE SHOULD NOT BE USED TO CLEAN OUT METAL DUCTWORK.
- LEGITIMATE COMPANIES WILL BE NATIONALLY CERTIFIED AND CARRY A NATIONAL AIR DUCT CLEANING ASSOCIATION (NADCA) CERTIFICATION.
- AVOID GIMMICKY SALES PITCHES. IF THE SERVICE IS $99 FOR YOUR ENTIRE HOME, THINK AGAIN. THESE SERVICES JUST VACUUM DUCTWORK AND WHILE IN YOUR HOME, THESE COMPANIES WILL ATTEMPT TO SELL MORE SERVICES.
- BEFORE CHOOSING A COMPANY TO WORK WITH, ASK FOR AN ESTIMATE, MOST COMPANIES OFFER FREE ESTIMATES AND INSPECTIONS.
- SERVICES SHOULD BE COMPLETE AND INCLUDE AN ENTIRE CLEANING OF THE HEATING/COOLING UNIT INCLUDING AIR HANDLER, REGISTERS, GRILLES, FANS, MOTORS, HOUSINGS AND COILS OF THE SYSTEM.
- IT MIGHT BE ADVISABLE TO CONSIDER ASKING FOR BEFORE AND AFTER PHOTOS THAT CAN BE PROVIDED BY THE TECHNICIANS.
With over 50 years of experience, City Heat and Air knows about professional duct cleaning. Our HVAC technicians are honest and reliable and do not add extra costs into their work. Call today to schedule an estimate or inspection prior to the cleaning at 865-938-1005 or visit us via our website .